If you have not heard about One Little Word®, it is a tradition developed by my soul sister, spirit animal, and scrapbook guru, Ali Edwards where you pick one word for the year that you want to be your focus for the year to reflect upon and incorporate into your life. I have never been one on New Year’s resolutions because they always seems to fizzle out within a few months (or even a few weeks in some cases). But over the last few months, I was reflecting upon the year 2010 when I created a monthly challenge for myself for the year. I called it my To Do List and each month I challenged myself in specific categories:
1. Try a new recipe
2. Learn something new
3. Read More
4. Take More Pictures
5. Move More
I did a lot better on 1-3 then on 4 or 5. But I posted every month what my progress was and held myself accountable. I tried some recipes I still love, read some new books, learned how to quilt and some sign language, and much more. I look back on this year as a great accomplishment and knew I wanted to do something like that again for 2018. So when I attended Story Camp in October and was surrounded by others who do One Little Word® regularly, my word hit me, and I knew I wanted to participate.
So this year, my very first, my One Little Word® is Commit.
Because of all the things that I say “One day I want to…” or “One day I am going to…,” now that day has come. I will commit to those things that I keep saying I want to do. I will commit to myself and my happiness and the happiness of my family above all. I will commit to better myself and make 2018 a great year.
There were three specific categories I wanted to focus on: Happiness, Health, and Household. Then I broke those categories into SMART goals that are more specific and measurable.
• Schedule Craft Time – at least 30 minutes per week
• Schedule Blog Time every Sunday
• One week per month no phone/disconnect
• READ at least two books per months (and blog about it!)
• Participate in photo challenges to improve photo skills and GET IN THE PICTURE
• Schedule a family camping trip
• Walk every day and get to 70,000 steps per week.
• Meditate at least once per week
• Stretch or Yoga at least once a week
• Listen to the Happiness Podcast and do one “try this at home” exercise per month
• Declutter one room per month (where I listed what room I am going to tackle in which month).
• Purchase one new decorative item per quarter
• Install a dog door
• Get carpet replaced!
That is quite a list to tackle but I feel it is very manageable. Scheduling in my planner is going to be my friend this year! I have felt a change in me (for the better!) in the last few months and I feel like One Little Word® is just the momentum I need to keep that going and stay on track.
I had a bracelet made by Laurel Denise who I discovered while at Story Camp. My Story Sisters and I each got a bracelet by Laurel Denise from the local jewelry shop as a reminder of our fabulous weekend and I knew when I saw it that I wanted one with my word for 2018.
Are you participating? What is your One Little Word®?